Duluth Baptist Church was organized on February 13, 1886. The original building was constructed for $500 on land donated by J.e. New. In1901 the membership totaled 85. The original building was destroyed by fire on July 21, 1947. Church members began the effort to rebuild, including donating material and labor. The distinctive granite building, still standing in Downtown Duluth, was completed in 1950. The church relocated to its current location in 1978, and In 1988, the current worship center was completed.
In the late 1990s-early 2000s, the demographics of Duluth began to change drastically. Suddenly, First Baptist Duluth found itself in one of the most diverse zipcodes in the country! In 2011, Senior Pastor Mark Hearn attended the “State of the City” address by our mayor and First Baptist church member, Nancy Harris. In sharing about the diversity of the community in which we live, she stated that there are 57 different languages spoken at Duluth High School.
That day, a line was drawn in the sand, and a commitment made that we will not rest until we learn how to cross language and cultural barriers to share the life changing message of Jesus Christ.
Today, First Baptist Duluth has active members from over 40 different nations, and the number keeps rising! If you want to find out more about our journey so far, check out Pastor Mark Hearn's book Technicolor. Here at First Baptist Duluth we like to say that we get to see a glimpse of heaven every Sunday, based on Revelation 7:9-10: "After this I looked, and there was a vast multitude from every nation, tribe, people, and language, which no one could number, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were robed in white with palm branches in their hands. And they cried out in a loud voice: Salvation belongs to our God, who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb!"
Come worship with us and find out what GOD is doing among the nations at First Baptist Duluth!